Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Framed Self Portraits


 This lesson was inspired from one of my favorite blogs, Panther's Palette. Here is the link to this lesson on that site. http://pantherspalette.blogspot.com/2012/04/1st-grade-self-portraits.html

We discussed self portraits, and that we were going to learn how to create a realistic self portrait of ourselves. I used my document camera and we did this lesson together. I showed them all my "tricks" on how to draw facial features, and how make the portraits proportional. I think they turned out great.

Super cute story. At the end of one class's drawing lesson, a little boy raised his hand and said "Mrs. Murphy it looks (and pointed to his art work) like a real boy!" He got it!! This just made my entire year and made me smile so much my face hurt. Needless to say I have included that story in every portrait lesson I've taught since, and will probably always will.
 I put these up on on a small bulletin board outside my art room. Simple but says it all. Be yourself. An original is always worth more than a copy.
 These paper frames were precut by me, and student's used silver paint to add swirlys and wavys (lines) to embellish it.






1 comment: