Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mister Seahorse-Art to Remember

In First Grade I always introduce Eric Carle. The kids already have read or listened to his books before and it is so great to say "not only is he an author but is an artist too!" I love the vivid imagery of his animals and his technique of collage. Last year we first grade did the grouchy lady bug for our art fundraiser lesson, so I wanted to switch it up and do seahorses.
This lesson has been done before all over the blogging world! Where I started this lesson with that first class has now greatly changed. With 10 first grade classes this year, I have tweaked this lesson enough that now I like it! These are made with watercolors. 
First day I read the book and we did a drawing lesson of a seahorse. These were traced with sharpie and painted with warm colors. The following class time the background was made of cool colored waves and splashes. While they sat and dried seahorses were cut out and glued on top. Then last green seaweed which added depth and a new color!
I hope on the magnets the colors look okay. Sometimes the watercolor can look lighter???? We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment